Thursday, April 22, 2010

If Abbatoirs had glass walls, all of us would be Vegetarian



A Friend gave up Non-veg (only) when he witnessed a Chicken being slaughtered. That was way back in School, which now seems like a lifetime ago! I am sure that effect by now would have worn off and he should be back to being a Carnivore. Having gained wisdom from his experience, I don't visit slaughter-houses and my shopping sojourns culminate at the Super-markets where Meat is well presented minus the gore and the agony.

I have been actively thinking of abstaining from Non-veg Food, but have only been able to give up Non-Veg for 30 days in 1997, for 21 days in 2009 and now I am on my 17th day of Vegetarian Food as I write this Blog (BTW 14 more days to go).

Coming to think of it, there are people who have never eaten Non-Veg who I respect and I have even more reverence for those evolved souls who have eaten Non-Veg but have now given up for whatever reasons. THAT is even tougher than being born a Vegetarian, as they know what they are missing.

George Bernard Shaw once said that " A MIND OF THE CALIBER OF MINE CANNOT DERIVE NUTRIENTS FROM A COW, A PIG OR A CHICKEN " and that does make sense. Abstaining and eating Vegetarian food, I confess, does give me an air of superiority as it also fills me with Wind and Self-righteousness. After all to become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to Nirvana. At this moment it is a huge FEEL GOOD factor in my life. A mere 17 days of Vegetarianism!

While I have been cooking and posting mainly Non-Veg dishes on my Blog, I am eating ONLY VEG for more than two weeks now (please excuse me for exercising my Bragging Rights), but few friends have been requesting that I also feature Veg food on my Blog because it can be as delicious and a lot less Sinful. After all there ARE karmic issues involved here which I shall go into at a later date.

Today's dinner was Vietnamese Spring Rolls with variety of fillings comprising of Salad Leaves, shredded Carrot, Tofu, Roasted Peanuts, Vermicelli, Coarse Black Pepper, with two types of pungent Sauce; One with Mint, Garlic and Green Chili and the other with a light Sugar Syrup, dash of Lemon juice and Red Chili.

This is an extremely healthy dish as it is not FRIED and all the Veggies / Fillings are rolled in Steamed Rice paper. It also allows experimentation with Ingredients and creativity about what one puts in. Go ahead and experiment. In fact, its a great family event if all the ingredients are brought out separately and each one makes their own rolls or makes them for other members of the family. That actually makes the Dinner an EVENT. A celebration of togetherness of loved ones.

And if one eats with THAT spirit of Celebration, the Spring Rolls are incidental. Even Cardboard dipped in that sauce will be as tasty!

1 comment: